Orient Yourself

Orient Yourself

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Siem Reap is the place to be.

Friday to Sunday was a nice break before Khmer classes would start on Monday. I spent my days riding Phil's awesome bike around town, getting my phone unlocked, enjoying awesome tuna avocado sandwiches at the Blue Pumpkin, and getting caught in the rain. Friday night I went out with a bunch of employees, mostly Khmer, from the NGO I'll be working for to celebrate Megan's birthday! We had traditional Khmer food, a big pot in front of every few people where you would just add the ingredients you wanted to make soup. It was awesome. Then we went into town to hang out with the expat (barang = foreigner) crowd.

Saturday night we went out again, this time went to a restaurant/bar in the Wat Bo area that I'd never been to. Had great Thai food. Then back to town again. I was feeling pretty jetlagged, though, so I hopped on the bike and pedaled myself home, at one point losing my sandal in the muddy muck on the alley to Phil's apartment. I was kinda bugging out cause there were no lights and I was sure there were things moving in the grass....but no worries I got inside with my sandal and hosed myself off.

Sunday we were all planning on just hanging out at the pool, but the later buses were booked up. So Phil took  me to the bus station and I was off at 12:30. The Sokha bus is less comfortable, and you don't get any mystery pastries, but it only costs $5. The road from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh isn't in the best shape, and when the rain starts....but I made it back to PP safe and sound in time to meet my new house mates. They are both in the CKS program with me. We all decided that living in this beautiful house was not going to work, because it was just so so hard to find, the tuk tuk drivers didn't even know how to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment