Orient Yourself

Orient Yourself

Saturday, April 21, 2012

A visit from friends!

So this month marked my first real visitors (besides the Lehigh research trip group). John and Sherene made the long journey to Cambodia to spend a couple weeks with me in SE Asia. They got in really late one night on the Asiana flight, and Phil and I were there with giant signs to greet them.


That night we stayed up late chatting and having beers on the porch, it was so nice to catch up. The next day Phil was off work, so we all took a moto trip to a remote temple (Banteay Ampil). Phil knew the general way to get there because he'd flown there recently, but we made a few wrong turns nonetheless. It was dry season, so we were able to cross in some places that we would not have otherwise. And it was HOT. But very much worth it. On the way home we got caught in a CRAZY thunderstorm, the rain was coming down so hard it felt like needles and several times I thought John (who was riding with me) and I would get blown off the road. Luckily we made it back unharmed.









After a well deserved nap, we met up with one of John's classmates from University College Dublin and her friend and headed to Green Star restaurant for some awesome Khmer cuisine. One of my favorite restaurants in Siem Reap, FYI. After that it was time for some karaoke. We killed it. As in, it was awful. But we had a great time belting out "Bohemian Rhapsody", and John and Phil were all over "Macho Man". We took John and Sherene to Temple bar, so they could get a sense of what Pub Street is all about. I have never seen Pub St that empty! Hello, low season.

Nothing like a little "White Mischief" to start the night!








The next day, John, Sherene and I checked out the temples and in the evening we all went to a barbecue with some of my fellow staff members. It was nice to see the temples because I hadn't visited most of them since November 2010 on my very first trip to Cambodia.















Next up...LAOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment