Phnom Penh is kind of getting to me. I think mostly the morning/afternoon/evening commutes around the city, because usually I'm on a moto or tuk tuk and whenever you stop at a light (where they exist), all the engines are idling and it's kind of gross to breathe all of that in. So I'm looking forward to the next 10 days or so. First, we are going to Kampong Chnnang for a four day homestay, and after that we are going to Siem Reap (my favorite!) for a few days to see the temples (skipping that this time), attend the Center for Khmer Studies conference, and do whatever. Here's a map so I can better illustrate the locations:
One quick story, last night I met up with Sothy and a few of his friends. One is an American professor, one is her Khmer friend, and the last person was Sothy's Swedish friend. We went to a local restaurant for dinner. They put a burner in front of you with a pan, and you cook whatever you want in front of you. I mostly ate rice, beef, vegetables, etc. But I also ate (somewhat unintentionally for some of it) cow tongue, cow lung, and raw shrimp. I tried to get out of it by saying to Sothy (in Khmer) that I did not want a stomachache (we learned the vocabulary for illnesses that day in class, so appropriate). Fear not, I did not immediately die of grossness and/or something horrible, I spent most of the evening dancing with the Advanced Khmer students at Saint Tropez (they showed up later). I nearly broke another pair of sandals. This morning, I had an exam...and I passed! My Khmer is improving.

No comments:
Post a Comment